Tuesday, September 14, 2010

whizzzz kids



Meet Desteny. I first met Desteny when she looked like this picture I'm holding up next to her current self. She was a shy quiet 3rd grader. Her English was minimal, her smile hesitant, and her concentration was lacking.

4th grade began a beautiful friendship. I encouraged her with cards each week reminding her of who she is in Christ. A beautiful daughter of the Lord. She laughed alot more. Little changed with her concentration but her smile came easier.

5th grade emerged a girl with a flair for life. I couldn't get her to stop talking long enough to read a sentence in a book. Her reading comprehension level was still slow and choppy. She invited me to her sister's 3rd birthday party (which apparently is a BIG deal), and I started to see her love for her sister outgrow the annoying sister tag-a-long. She invited me to her 5th grade graduation where she wore a beautiful yellow dress. Her parents let me take her out for ice cream.

6th grade popped out a woman! Desteny shared with me her dreams of college, job, owning a house, supporting her sister. Her passion for life astounded me! Who is this young woman? Where did the shy little chica go? Desteny's concentration could still bounce faster than Federer's serve, but she excelled in math and science at her charter school. She called me friend. I actually teared up one time looking at her, thinking of how she's changed over the years. She said, "What's wrong with you? Why are you crying, weirdo?"

This is 7th grade. She said no to Whiz Kids this year, but asked me to tutor her mini-me, Alondra when she's old enough. She's a strong woman with an exciting future and I'm proud to call her friend. I love you Desteny!



Turning a new leaf.... I'm starting back at 2nd grade with a new Whiz Kid next week. Haven't met her yet. Drove past her house and prayed for her, but I haven't met Nora yet. I'm excited and nervous to begin this journey again. Now I know why people do this. I've gained a friend for life, and I'm ready to make some more...

1 comment:

Bridget and Pops (aka Charlie) said...

Your love for others encourages me each day and I am so proud of you for taking the time out each week to help Destiny! I love you friend!